Paganicon is a rapidly-growing, popular convention, which means we rely on the Flying Monkey Squad to help things run smoothly. Yes, that is what our volunteers have been called from 2013 forward! You know you always wanted to be a flying monkey, and now here’s your chance!
-Shift Signup Instructions Coming Soon-
What kind of volunteer positions are available?
Here is a quick run-down of different types of Flying Monkeys we’ll need at Paganicon. Most posts require you to be a registered attendee, but some don’t, and will be marked as such.
- Badge checking: perhaps the easiest job at Paganicon! You just sit in one place and make sure only people with badges enter. During the ball and concert, badge checkers will need to check for people with badges or a Ball-only stamp on their hand. Registered attendees only.
- Friday morning Set-Up: we’ll need helpers to unload trucks downstairs and haul up equipment using the service elevator, including panels to hang artwork, musical equipment for the ballroom, and pipe and drape for the ballroom and the divination room. Some heavy lifting may be required, and the more volunteers we have on Friday morning, the faster it will go. Registered attendees only.
- Sunday Evening Tear-Down: removing any equipment from the ballroom, hospitality suite, art show, registration table, and so on; loading into trucks and cars as directed by board members. Volunteers do not need to be registered as this will take place after the con is over.
- Registration/Con Ops: checking people in on Friday evening, Saturday morning, and/or selling ball tickets Saturday night. Computer-literate, and good with administrative duties and numbers is preferable here. Non-registered volunteers are acceptable because the Operations room is in the public area, however, registered volunteers are preferred.
- Art Show: we need some pleasant and responsible people to keep an eye on the art work while the Art Show is open. If you are one of the artists who will be showing their work this year, you are required to volunteer here for a few hours, because you’ll be in the best position to talk about the art as well! The art show volunteer will also need to assist in facilitating sales of art prints and original art (actual payments processed in Operations).
- Vendor room set up/tear down: we need people who can lift and carry to help the various vendors during their set up and tear down times. The vendor coordinator will help direct you where you are needed.
Starting in 2016 we have a new reimbursement policy. That’s right, now you can actually work back your entire registration fee! Each shift is 1.5–2.5 hours, depending on what and when it is. You’ll be able to see the amount of time on our shift sign-up sheet. No matter the length of your shifts, you will get the following rebates after the con (not to exceed the amount you actually paid for registration):
2 shifts = $15 rebate 4 shifts = $30 rebate 6 shifts = $45 rebate 8 shifts = $60 rebate
You’ll need to check in either to your assigned area or to Con Ops (Winter Room, 1st floor) before your shift begins. You will need to get your time card verified and initialed directly after your shift, either by a supervising board member or in Con Ops. Keep your time card with you until all of your shifts are completed. Then, hand it in at Con Ops on Sunday between 2pm and 6pm. We will need your legal name and the email address you used for registration. Depending on when you bought your registration, we may be able to reimburse you immediately on the card you used to pay, through EventBrite. Otherwise we will take your address and mail you a check in the weeks immediately following Paganicon.
If you need to leave earlier, or your final volunteer shift is later (Tear-Down shift), you’ll simply leave your completed time card with a board member and we will take care of you after the Con.
How do I get more information?
The first step is to get on our mailing list by submitting the form at the bottom of this page, sending an email to volunteers at paganicon.org, or joining our Flying Monkey Squad facebook group. Once you are signed up, you will receive emails (or facebook notifications) from Paganicon. (Check your spam box now and then, just in case.)
Remember that most Flying Monkeys will need to be registered attendees of Paganicon. If you haven’t signed up already, click here. If you’re not registered, you are not eligible for any rebate amount and you won’t be able to enter beyond the badge checkers to enjoy any programming (lectures, ball or music), but you can still have fun as a volunteer and get our undying thanks.
Please use the contact form below to add your name to the ranks of the Flying Monkey Squad, and we’ll add you to our mailing list where we send out volunteer-specific updates as well as the sign-up sheet for shifts. Thank you for your interest!